Sunday, September 7, 2014

Mixed Media Shadow Box

Hi,  my dear friends, welcome to Simon Says Stamp STAMPTEMBER blog hop. You should have arrived here from May Flaum's blog, if not please go to the start of the hop on Andrea Ockey Parr's blog. For your inspiration, we are each sharing a special trick or technique on our blogs, so be sure to hop around and check them all out!

StamptemberBanners-600x600

Simon Says Stamp was founded in 2002 with an interest in exclusively selling rubber stamps. It didn’t take long until we realized we couldn’t stop there. For more than 10 years we have celebrated rubber stamping and its glory. We work to bring companies from around the world together in a one stop shopping environment. Rubber stamps still remain the heart of our business and we are celebrating by hosting a “STAMPtember®" event intended to inspire, educate, and celebrate the delight of rubber stamping. Part of the enticement of rubber stamping is that stamps can be used in creating or complementing ANYTHING! From stamping dates on bank documents and postage parcels in the early 18th century, rubber stamping has dramatically expanded to include card making, scrapbooking, mixed media and many forms of altering and expressing art.

This week at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge, we challenge you to use a Simon Says Stamp exclusive stamp – or any Simon brand product to help us kick things off!


I was inspired to create a mixed media cover of a shadow box using Distress Paints to make the textures for this week's challenge. 


This is a blank board box sized 5" X 7 1/4" X 2 1/8".  I'll be decorating inside of the shadow box in the future. For this week, I focus on creating the mixed media cover. 


First, I apply a thin layer of Gesso on the cover of the box using a paint brush. 


Stamp the Tim Holtz Ultimate Grunge Stamps with Distress Paints to create the background patterns. 


Apply UTEE on the wet Distress Paints and heat set to make the beautiful textures on the background.
 
Some gorgeous Prima Flowers, resin embellishments and Tim Holtz metal embellishments were attached on the box.


 
 

I hope you enjoy the technique I shared to create the patterns and textures with Distress Paints, stamps and UTEE. Please hop over to lovely and talented Michelle Zerull's blog for more inspiration. Have fun!

Supply List:



Simon Says Stamp is giving away a $50 gift voucher that will go to a random entry chosen by Random Generator. Join us for this week's challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge and celebrate StampTember with us. You might also be on our Friday Designer Spotlight.
I really appreciate you stop by my blog and hope you all have a wonderful week.

Meihsia ^_^



47 comments:

  1. How beautiful color! I love the texture, gorgeous project!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful and I love all the shades of purple! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving the beautiful hues of purple with the softness of the added white! Gorgeous shadow box!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your shadow box front looks stunning! I love the colours and the claster of flowers. Beautiful. I can wait to see the inside decorated too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this beautiful shadow box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the altered box. Like the embellishments.
    Melissa
    "Sunshine HoneyBee"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous! So much rich texture and so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your box is gorgeous and I love the colors and textures on it!. I have one sitting on my desk for a special gift, thank you for the inspiration! I found the direction I want to go from your fabulous artwork.
    Hugs Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your project is stunning. I never thought of using my Utee that way.
    Can't wait to give it a try. Thank you for the inspiration.

    Looking forward to see what you do with the inside of the box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so pretty especially with the lovely textures created by the UTEE, the super sweet colors you've chosen and a perfect combination of embellishments. Your signature style at it's best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A beautiful box! I can't wait to see the inside!! I love it so much that I pinned it♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous box. Such delicious colours and texture

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing, Meihsia! I so love your mixed media style! Gorgeous color combo! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This looks fantastic! I see I've still got a lot to learn, I didn't know paints could be used on stamps, that's something I will try!

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW oh WOW! A lovely shadow box - you have great talent! TFS Thanks for the hop enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing project! I've never tried UTEE before but I think I'd like to have a go. Such cool effects!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Meihsia,
    I love it, everything about this is gorgeous.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautifully embellished box. The flowers are gorgeousI love it.
    Thank you for joining my DL.ART Thankful Thursday Anything Goes September Linky Party. Have a blessed day
    DIANA L.
    http://dianamlarson.blogspot.com http://dianamlarson.ctmh.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, this is so inspiring! I love all the beautiful details!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, this turned out so beautifully decorated! Love all of the textures, colour and pattern that you created...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful box Meihsia! Love the purple tones and of course all the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cool canvas project, love all the texture!!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your shadow box is so pretty and romantic. I love the little tags and the texture from the stamping with the paint.
    Thanks for sharing your great project! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, this is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful... I love this color and the details used for this shadowbox. :) Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful project, love the color and he details. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  27. gorgeous piece! I love Utee over Distress paints! Stunning colors as always! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful box... the stamping is amazing (technique is a must try)!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful work
    on this box. Love
    the colors and
    the textures.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  30. A really beautiful creation! Thank you for sharing how you created it and for the blog hop Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  31. How gorgeous! What are you going to store in there?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, so pretty! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  33. brilliant colors...great project. it's a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such a pretty box cover! I never realized you could use UTEE on Distress Paint. It makes total sense when you point it out, though. I'll have to try and remember that. Thanks for sharing this, from a fellow Texan!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Absolutely gorgeous... Love the colors :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Stunning! Thanks for a wonderful tutorial : )

    ReplyDelete
  37. Gorgeous!! Love the colors and the mixed media technique

    ReplyDelete
  38. An absolutely stunning piece, Meihsia and I love the UTEE over the Distress Paints ~ so creative and clever!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. So very beautiful! Love all the texture Meihsia and blossoms! Stunning work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is stunning and it's always such a treat to see your creative process. You've inspired me to try (and buy) so many things that I would be too chicken to use otherwise, so thanks again for showing me all the great things that are possible with some creative hands and cool products!

    ReplyDelete
  41. what everyone else said...OMG! Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete