Sunday, January 26, 2014

Howdy from Texas

Howdy y'all! Friends! This week, we have a fun theme at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge - "this is where the cowboy rides away...."

Will you use Tim Holtz western stamps? Do something cowboy inspired? Maybe do something with a setting sun, or about saying goodbye? Maybe you’ll be inspired by old western movies, the desert, cactus, or just colors that remind you of the wild west.

I was inspired to create a star shaped chipboard decoration for my craft room.


I live in Texas where you can see lots of western style or cowboy related decorations. This week I decided to combine the elements of star shape, metal, and red, white and blue colors to create a wall decor for my craft room.


I started this project with applying Gesso on a 10" star shaped chipboard that I purchased at local craft store.  


The Tim Holtz Faucet Knobs and Prima Flower Bottle Caps were attached on this chipboard after the Gesso was dry.


The Metallic Distress Ink Stain and Ranger Distress Paint were applied on the background and those embellishments to make the coordinated metal look. I heat embossed with clear embossing powder randomly on this piece. 


I also used brush pen to color the Idea-ology Facuet Knobs with red, white and blue Ranger Paints.



To finish this mixed media piece, I added Tim Holtz Alpha Parts Ransom letters and Hemp Cord. 


Supply List: 



Please join us for this week's Cowboy/western challenge at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Simon Says Stamp is giving away a $50 gift voucher that will go to a random entry chosen by Random Generator. You might also be on our Friday Designer Spotlight. Can't wait to see what you will come up with this fun theme.
Thank you for stopping by. Hope you all enjoy your day and happy crafting!
Meihsia ^_^



22 comments:

Yvonne Garner said...

Wowza! This is fabulous! I love it. Very Texas like!

Desire Fourie said...

Oh wow this s a stunning mixed media project and I love the steam punk feel.
Hugs Desíre {Doing Life}

Chrissy said...

FANtastic Meihsia..loved the tutorial and what a wonderful finished project..will look fabulous on your craft room wall..

Luv CHRISSYxx

Suzanne C said...

Clever and beautiful! Love the idea of the bottle caps with the knobs placed inside. All the color represents the state perfectly! Beautiful!

sandi said...

Wow! This is so neat looking! Love all the bits and pieces here.
Awesome!

Anna-Karin said...

Fantastic star Meihsia! LOVE how you used those metallic embellishments and the textures and colours are perfect.

Emma Williams said...

An amazing piece ~ I love all the texture and the details!! Just perfect for the challenge and I adore it! Thank you for the warm welcome and looking forward to working alongside you on the team.

Sandra said...

Ohh Meihsia, what a stunning star! Love the texture and the patriotic colors! Really cool! Hugs, Sandra

Miriam Prantner said...

Patriotic steampunk, I love it! Great texture and color and I love the metallics!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Super cool Texas star! I love the embellishments you added to it to add lots of interest :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Julie Ann Lee said...

Really stunning and original! I love the combo of Steam Punk and Cowboy elements! Julie Ann xxx

Mona Pendleton said...

What a fantastic decoration for your craft room Meihsia! Love all the layered embelllsihments and texture!

Lynnda said...

This project is fabulous and fun! Love it! Hugs...x

MichelleZ said...

Such a pretty project. I love he star shape. It works so well with the theme. Beautifully done!

butterfly said...

Absolutely love this, Meihsia - such a cool way to use those Finnabair bits - and the red and blue metal finish looks fabulous! Great texture throughout as well, and I just love the wrapped twine - wow, wow, wow!!

Can't believe I wasn't signed up as a Follower - how'd that happen... done now!!
Alison xx

Paper Profusion said...

Superb piece from the Lone Star State Meihsia! This looks fabulously tactile and gorgeously grungey. Nicola x

Pia S said...

Great country ands western style project! I find it so interesting to see the pictures of how it ends up looking like the finished project, thanks for sharing!

soapHOUSEmama said...

so VERY cool!!!

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

This project turned out to be amazing! Leave it to you to totally find beauty in faucet knobs and bottle caps! I also really liked the color palette you used and adore all that texture you created. My husband lived in Texas for a couple of years and has fond memories of it, so I showed him your project and he said it did Texas proud!

alexandra s.m. said...

Absolutely fabulous project Meihsia!
Your star is so beautiful and unique!
Thank YOu!!

barbarayaya62 said...

I adore the stars and i'm in love with your!!!!I love all in this star!!!! I love every detail in this star: colors , metal, all..... truly.... all!!!! BArbarayaya

Mary Elizabeth said...

Pinned!!! Can you tell I'm getting caught up on Pinterest? I saw this last week on SSS Monday Challenge and was blown away. Amazing color balance in this piece. Love the movement of the twine around the points of the star. You have a gift for mixed media. Great make Meihsia! Mary Elizabeth