Sunday, November 17, 2013

Mysterious Mixed Media Wooden Box

Hi, my dear blog friends, welcome back to my blog. This week, we have a very fun challenge - It's a MYSTERY.

You could interpret the theme however you want. From Nancy Drew books to techniques that are hard to figure out just from looking at a finished project, You may embrace your inner Sherlock Holmes or mystify us with your technique prowess. You may also simply mysteriously be unclear on how exactly it fits!

I was inspired to alter a wooden box with my favorite mediums and created some mysterious goodies with Susan Lenart Kazmer's bezel and ice resin for my daughter Natalie since she always loves my creations.




Before guessing what's inside what's inside the box, I'll tell you more about this box.
This was a 4.25" x 2.5" x 2" unfinished wooden box that I purchased at local craft store and I decorated it with Gesso, Color Shine, Gelatos, crackle paints, and Prima flowers. 

I love mixed media altered projects since there is always something unexpected even I was well prepared before starting the project. On the background of this box I intended to paste some stamped tissue paper scraps and spray various colors of Color Shine to make decoupaged patterns. But I decided to cover most of the stamped images and soften the background with Gesso after I found out the soft colors looked cute on this box.


I've included a quick video to show you how I altered this box.


So now, can you guess what is inside this box?

Natalie wears different earrings I made for her to school everyday. Since she already has many earrings, I wanted to make some bracelet and necklace for her. There are lots of cute charms by Prima Flower and Spellbinders at Simon Says Stamp Shop, so I chose Heart One Bezels and Finnabair Mechanicals to make a necklace and a bracelet.

I used Spellbinders Heart bezels and Ice Resin to make these pendants since Natalie doesn't like vintage stuff  too much so I tried to make these simple and fun.



The Susan Lenart Kazmer Ice Resin makes perfect jewelry since it's crystal clear and very easy to use.



After putting the photo which was cut out by the Spellbinders die, a key and a lock in the bezels, I poured the mixture of hardener and resin into the bezels. I let them dry for 24 hours.



After the pendants were dry, I added some cute Prima and Finnabair trinkets.


So, here are the mysterious goodies in the box that I created for Natalie. I am sure Natalie will love them! And I enjoy creating them so much! ^_^

Supply List: 



Please join us for this fun challenge becuause Simon Says Stamp is giving away a $50 gift voucher that will go to a random entry chosen by Random Generator. You may also be on the Designer Spotlight on our Firday post at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Thank you so much for dropping by. Looking forward to visiting all your blogs.

Happy crafting!

Meihsia  :)



26 comments:

  1. this box - the texture is fantastic! and love seeing you at work in the video too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This box is beautiful Meihsia... You are such an inspiration!... Love it... hugs...x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching you work your magic,is amazing, I looooove it and those goodies inside are beautiful you are so talented and creative, thanks for sharing, and hope you have a wonderful week, ((( BIG HUGS )))..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meihsia...your little textured box is so pretty! Love the textures and design. Your sweet little charms are also so fun! Your video was really good, too. I'm a chicken when it comes to attempting videos! haha Love your project! <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is just gorgeous!!! love seeing the video too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely keepsake box Meihsia, love the texture, delicate colour palette and the jewellery piece inside are stunning. What a wonderful gift idea. Loved your video too. Tracy x x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Meihsia, what a wonderful project. I love your little box with the fabulous textures. And the jewellery you made to your daughter is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic Meihsia...loved watching the step by step, so many layers,textures and colours and a gorgeous end result...beautiful.

    luv CHRISSYxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning box! Love to see you work on it in a video! So many layers to create that beauty! Really pretty, so is the jewelry! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun video! That is soooo cool! I love your sweet little box. I'm sure that your daughter will treasure it always. AND I had NO idea that you did jewelry too. And you do it so well! Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love what you have created for your daughter. The box is beautiful and are the pieces of jewelery, tfs, popped over from Simon Says to see more xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous box to keep your gorgeous treasures in, Meihsia! I love the BONUS video too!

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful altered box Meihsia! Love the texture and crackle finish! Your charms are beautiful too! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous box! I love the soft muted tones with the textured areas and the jewelry is elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm crazy about boxes, and this was just too good.
    Loved these metal ornaments, they are amazing!
    I'm sure Natalie will love the gifts.
    Success dear!
    Kisses
    Naiara

    ReplyDelete
  17. this box is amazing!! love the colors and the texture ^.^ and the video is pretty inspiring !

    ReplyDelete
  18. GORGEOUS creation, no wonder she loves everything you make! Fabulous jewelry as well. I love when I 'cross craft' paper & beading! TFS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your box - it's such a clever combination of the mixed media and shabby vintage look! A unique and beautiful design!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful box - and such lovely pieces inside!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! WOW! WOW! You are so talented! Your box looks gorgeous and your trinkets are fab!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful project! Your little box is fantastic, the jewelry incredible! love all in this work! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely box. It's so pretty and unique. I love the jewellery inside it too, just the kind of thing my daughter would like and she is twenty. It was great to see the video of the box being made. Thank you so much for sharing. Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm completely in love with the soft muted colours on the box - utterly lovely, and the resin jewellery is so fabulous too! Wonderful project, Meihsia!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love, love, love, love, LOVE this piece! You wow'd me yet again with your sense of color and structure and the way you turn boring things into these crazy-amazing works of art. So beautiful and the box alone made my jaw drop. Incredible work!

    ReplyDelete